Cricut Lingo

Cricuit Lingo

Jumping into the Cricut world can be fraught with questions, frustrations and having to learn the Cricut lingo!


The following is a quick start guide to some of the ‘technical’ terms people use when talking about Cricut, Design Space and working on projects.

Design Space – The cloud-based Cricut software for making your projects accessed at

HTV – Heat Transfer Vinyl (iron on).
Siser Easyweed – Most popular manufacturer of Heat Transfer Vinyl.
631 – Removable vinyl (Indoor, used for stencils temporary wall designs and window cling).
651?-?Permanent vinyl (Outdoor, weatherproof).
951 – Permanent vinyl (Marine grade – the higher the number the stronger grade of adhesive!).
Oracal – Manufacturer of adhesive vinyl (631, 651, 951, etc.).
Printable vinyl – vinyl you can put through your inkjet or laser printer (make sure you use the correct type for your printer!!) usually used with Print and Cut function in Design Space.
Weeding – ?to remove excess vinyl?from your cut design.
Mirror -?flip/reverse your design – you do this for most Heat Transfer projects (and place HTV shiny side down!!).
Weld?- Move letters close together?so they touch and can be cut as one piece instead of individual letters. Welding (grouping) can also keep your images and fonts together as you have designed them before pressing cut. ? Welding CANNOT be undone once you have saved a project!
Attach?- similar to weld it keeps images/fonts as they are on mat when cutting.

Inkscape – Free graphic design software that allows you to trace images, edit and create SVG files. ?You can download Inkscape here (for Windows and Mac!)

There is a flowchart that shows the correct type of vinyl to use for your projects – click here and bookmark this handy reference guide!

Got more lingo?? Add it to the comments here and we’ll incorporate it into the FAQ